Friday, February 24, 2012

Honing My Skills

So it turns out that my earlier post entitled "You Could Die Today" had a magnetic title after all. I was worried it might be a turnoff, but scads of people have clicked on it already. Who knows, maybe they left without reading it when it turned out not to be a snuff film or something equally gruesome. But I remain surprised. That's why I just can't hit the big time, like J. K. Rowling with her Harry Potter wizards and all those bodice-ripping romance writers like Danielle Steele. I just don't have my finger on the pulse. I have never really been a hit with the masses. For example, today I got a rejection from a literary agent concerning the novel I am currently working on. It's about normal people and what happens to them after a tragedy occurs in their family. Nobody in the family is a wizard. Not one of them is a vampire. No clothes are ripped off any bodices in any of the scenes. In fact, there is not a bodice in the whole book; I think that's where I'm missing the mark.

I checked out the titles of the agency that rejected me today, and they were full of "Love's Lusty" this and "Vampire" that. I guess I'll have to learn how to write that way if I want to ever make it big, or even make it small. To begin, I'll try to incorporate more adjectives into my writing; that seems quite popular and it's something I never do. For example, I might normally write, "He woke up and saw that it was raining outside." Instead, I think I'll try, "He woke up slowly, flexing his taut, supple muscles against the smooth, satin sheets, then leaned over his sexy, lithe, still-slumbering lover and gazed out at the sultry morning, aware of her delicious breathing as he noticed the hard-driving, pounding rain, which reminded him of their night together. Suddenly hungry, he bit her neck and drank breakfast."

As an added benefit, it will certainly boost my word count. I'll try it.

1 comment:

Nuke Gaza (or at Least Ilhan Omar)

If they can say "From the river to the sea," I can say "Nuke Gaza. " That's extreme, I know, but hey, do you rememb...