Sunday, February 26, 2012

Not About the Oscars

Weekends always make me slightly uncomfortable, in that I feel like I'm never having a good enough time. It's that whole "TGIF" thing. Even when I had a regulation office job, of which there are too many to recount, I was never all that happy it was Friday--not that I actively disliked Fridays, but I did like my work. And the implication that we were all just miserable working stiffs who had to go out and get drunk on Friday nights to compensate for the "daily grind" spent punching a clock at some vapid desk job rubbed me the wrong way. I aim to enjoy every day, not just two days a week.

In my single days I often chose to enjoy a perfectly boring weekend doing absolutely nothing and nobody gave me any guff about it. But since I got married a quarter-century ago, I have been tasked with making plans for interesting and stimulating recreational activities that will give us, it is hoped, something to remember. This means tickets to something or, in good weather, an outdoor adventure of some sort. When there's nothing planned I have obviously failed at my job, which is bad, since Mitch counts on me for fun as much as I count on him for money.

Besides, the women always make the plans. At least, in civilized society --I have no idea how it is handled among tribal people living in the bush or the outback or the hinterlands. And young people my son's age (24) are changing everything. In fact, I have it on good authority that they are no longer choosing diamonds as engagement rings because of the horrible diamond mining practices. You can find out all about it in a movie called "Blood Diamonds" starring Leonardo De Caprio who might or might not be nominated for Oscar in that film. (Which reminds me, the Oscars are on TV tonight and for the first time in my life I have no idea who is the host of the show and no plans to turn it on. I must be getting old.)

The bottom line: Last night I failed and we wandered aimlessly, without plans. We ended up having dinner at a shopping mall chain restaurant called "Ruby Tuesday." (On a Saturday; go figure.)

2 comments:

  1. Billy Crystal is the host. Only reason to watch. Just wish he would loosen they strings on his face.

    GL

    ReplyDelete
  2. and what's with his toupee? why so dark? He wasn't that good. I did stand up and cheer for Mr. Plummer though. Did you see that movie? MY favorite of the year.

    why are you not playing bridge?

    ReplyDelete

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...